Date News Update
2012-10-05 Updated grades are available.
Click here for grades summary.
Click here for detailed re-exam results.
2012-09-27 The re-exam inspection will take place Thursday, 4. October 2012, 10:00 - 12:00 in E1.1 room 407 (conference room at the 4th floor).
2012-09-25 The re-exam results are available! Yeah!
2012-09-13 The re-exam will take place in Günter-Hotz-Hörsaal, Building E2.2.
2012-09-10 The re-exam will be on Friday, September 14, 15:00 - 18:00. If you want to take part, please register here until Wednesday 12:00. Rooms will be announced after registration.
2012-08-21 Exam results are available! W00t!
2012-07-24 Demo exam is available.
2012-07-10 The last lecture took place today.
2012-05-04 Redmine infrastructure is now available. Your login data was sent to you by mail.
Have a look at your Redmine project and have fun organizing your project.
2012-05-02 Important: No lectures on May 3 (Thursday) and May 17 (Thursday)!
2012-05-02 Planned lecture schedule for the next three weeks is now available at the lectures page.
2012-04-25 Projects and project groups have been assigned.
Check the course management system and get your project started!

About the Course

Software engineering is the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software. In this core lecture (9 CP), we expand on earlier exposure to software engineering (for instance, the software lab / SoPra from Saarland University's Bachelor's program) and do a detailed exploration of software engineering topics like:

  • Software Quality Assurance
  • Software Maintenance and Evolution
  • Software Project Management
  • and others...
  • Requirements Engineering
  • Software Specification
  • Software Design and Architecture
  • Advanced Programming Techniques

The course consists of two parts: A project part, in which you work in a team of 6–7 students with a customer to engineer a protoypical software solution to a problem, and a course part, which provides the necessary skills for completing the projects. Assuming that you already know about programming, the course will specifically focus on the early stages of software development (in particular requirements and design) as well as on the late stages (in particular quality assurance).

Lectures from May 8 on will take place in Campus E1.3 (Computer Science) HS2 again at 08:30.

This is a highly pratical course. 70% of your grade will be based on the project, the remaining 30% is based on the written exam. You need to pass the project as well as the written exam.


Please note, for organizational reasons, you have to sign up both in the chair's course management system and in HISPOS.
Deadlines for the HISPOS registration will be posted in the HISPOS portal and announced by email.


Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Andreas Zeller
Coordinator: Florian Gross
Second coordinator & Tutor: Konrad Jamrozik
Tutors: Aliaksandr Talaika Max-Ferdinand Suffel
Daria Gaidar Mykola Havrikov
Frederik Leonhardt Olga Mykytiuk
Krishna Narasimhan Sabina Glowacka
Marie-Therese Walter Souza N. Windiartono

Reading list

  • R. Pressman, Software Engineering - A Practitioner's Approach, 6th ed., 2005
  • C. Ghezzi, M. Jazayeri, and D. Mandriolo, Fundamentals of Software Engineering. Prentice Hall, second ed., 2002
  • A. Endres and D. Rombach, A Handbook of Software and Systems Engineering. The Fraunhofer IESE Series on Software Engineering, Pearson Education Ltd., 2003.
  • The Z Notation
  • S. Robertson and J. C. Robertson, Mastering the Requirements Process. Addison-Wesley Professional, second ed., 2006.
  • I. Jacobson, G. Booch, and J. Rumbaugh, The Unified Software Development Process. Addison-Wesley Professional, 1999.
  • K. Beck and C. Andres, Extreme Programming Explained. Addison-Wesley, 2004.